Our History

img_1774On December 6, 1953, a meeting was held with the elders of the Donelson congregation to explore the interest in establishing a new congregation in the Donelson area. On December 9, 1953 the first meeting was held in the home of Brother Fred Shelton and arrangements were made to meet on December 13 at the Elm Hill club house. On that day, 100 people attended the 11 AM worship service. Realizing that this facility was not going to be adequate for the worship service, a request was made to the Supt. of County Schools to use the Donelson High School auditorium for the worship service on Sunday. Mid week services were held in various homes for a few weeks, and permission was asked of the Donelson congregation to use their building on Thursday evening for the mid-week Bible Study, and permission was granted.

Various ministers from congregations in the Nashville area preached until a minister could be employed to preach on a regular basis. Burrell Prince was employed as the first regular preacher for the Lebanon Road congregation.

In early 1954, two lots were purchased in the Merry Oaks subdivision where the present structure now stands, and on September 1, 1954, the congregation paid off these lots in full. In the summer of 1955, the ground floor for the permanent building was built and on September 4, 1955, the first worship service was held in this portion of the building with an overflow attendance of 415. Two morning services were begun immediately in order to accommodate the overflow crowd.

In 1956, the congregation selected H. Clyde Smith and Charlie Swan to serve as elders and Charles Bullington, Lipscomb Harding, Dennis Johnson, Thaxton McWhirter, and John Wright to serve as Deacons.

In 1957, the auditorium and additional classrooms were completed at an overall cost of $125,000. The first services in the new auditorium were held on October 12, 1957. In 1978, the Fellowship Hall was built and in 2000, the addition to the auditorium and additional classrooms were built.